Thursday, August 9, 2007

August 9 – Powerful Deterrents

So today, we went back to Patan Hospital to sign Dr. Bishnu’s training agreement. I also found out that Director Shrestha, while the Patan Birthing Center undergoes renovation, is working as coordinator of the night shift nurses. Unfortunately, that means that I have to show up either really late at night or really early in the morning. (I’ll be going at night, since there’s no way I’m waking up at 5AM).

To finally put some closure to the MDGP scholarships, I also went to NSI (The Nick Simons Institute) to sign our agreement with Dr. Zimmerman (and pick his brain about some clinic legal issues). One of the issues we discussed was medicolegal aspects of the clinic: how to deal with malpractice suits. Personally, I was curious about this as well, since I knew that Nepal was not a sue-happy place like America. Dr. Z enlightened me about the way things are done here: no doctors have malpractice insurance. The Nepalese don’t really sue in this department, and the law is somewhat loose as well. Apparently, until 15 years ago, medical malpractice had to be tried under assault and battery statutes. Even now, cases are seen more in the sense of consumer protection laws.

On the other hand, the Nepalese are more willing to take matters into their own hands. Should an egregious case of malpractice occur, threats, vigilante action, and out-of-court monetary demands are common. A more powerful deterrent is the press: families with connections can publish articles defaming physicians for their negligence. On top of being completely in the hands of the writers, such measures ensure humiliation and the fact that the doctor will probably be unable to practice in that city again.

That’s some scary stuff.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Andrew, I just read some of your notes, and they really bring Nepal to life. Oh, the risks of being a doctor in a developing country...threats, defamation, violence. Sounds like you really better set up this hospital right, or people will come after you personally. Well, break a leg. Haha.

Anonymous said...

anonymous... is danny who now benches sets at 145 lbs; he wants to go lifting you, so please let me know when you're back and fully recovered

Anonymous said...

*lifting with you

Andy said...

Hahaha, I suppose if you want to lift me, you could try (though it won't be easy). But anyways, I should be getting back in the States within the next few days, so I'll call you when I get in.