Sunday, August 5, 2007

August 2 – Strange Bathfellows

Today, while showering, I noticed that there was something large slowly moving about the tiny bathroom. Upon closer inspection, I realized it was a hairy five-inch long spider. My initial instinct was to panic, but the door to the shower opened up into the village square, so running out into the street soapy and naked was definitely not an option. The creature ended up being pretty chill, though, so after a few moments, I grew accustomed to its lazy lounging. I took my time and finished my bath, noting that my arachnid pal (sitting comfortably in my soap dish) seemed a little thinner than most American tarantulas. I then realized how much I had grown to appreciate the presence of it and its eight-legged brothers: Sanfe is bursting with flies, and without these guys, things could get really annoying.

Though the day was quite slow (still no Rajan), we managed to meet with the current clinic coordinator of HASTI-Nepal, an NGO working in rural areas as a VTC (Voluntary Testing and Counseling). The agreement was not in writing, but we will definitely be coordinating our resources in the coming months.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds startlingly like some of my showers here...

-Sean

monkeyblog said...

Wow - I definitely would've gone the "running screaming into the street, soapy and nekkid." But I am a girl.