Tuesday, July 24, 2007

July 22, 2007 – The Family is Wonderful. Mother Nature is not

The Acharyas have been so accommodating in opening up their home to us, and I’ve learned much about Nepali culture and family life from them. Bibhav’s parents are very religious (they’re members of Hare Krishna) so I’ve had a crash course in Hinduism. I can say that I’m now quite proficient at eating with my hands, and had the chance tonight to eat (okay, okay, so I didn’t eat it. I kinda licked it) what is called “Pepper that can set a hundred men’s mouths on fire.” Let’s just say I smelled it and my nose started hurting.

Bibhav’s parents’ religion prevented them from talking to us this morning (they’re in ritual prayer from 3:30AM-7AM), so Mr. and Mrs. Acharya “saw us off” last night. Bibhav walked us to the bus station at 6, though, and we parted until he arrives in Kathmandu to fly back to the States. I’m sure I’ll be seeing a lot of him back at Yale, though, which is awesome since he’s such a cool guy.

Mercilessly, the Himalayas remained hidden from view by huge clouds again. If anything, it was cloudier today than any of the other days we were in Pokhara. Thanks a lot, Nature.

No comments: